Backache or dorsalgia is something which most people complain of these days. It is a sharp, piercing pain or dull ache or burning sensation originating from disorders concerning muscles, bones, joints, nerves or other structures of spine in the back of our body. Backache may be chronic or intermittent in nature. Backache or pain may be classified as neck or cervical ache, upper backache, lumbago or lower backache and tail bone ache. The upper backache may spread to arms and hands and the lower backache may spread to leg and foot. Backache may be accompanied by symptoms like numbness, weakness and tingling sensation. Depending upon pain duration, backache may be grouped as acute (less than 4 weeks), sub-acute (4-12 weeks) and chronic (more than 12 weeks). The main causes of backache may be listed as follows:
1. Metastatic cancer
2. Spinal osteomyelitis
3. Epidural abscess
4. Herniated disc
5. Traumatic injury such as bone fracture
7. Multiple myeloma
8. Degenerative disc disease or osteoarthritis
9. Bowel/bladder incontinence
10. Lumber spine stenosis
11. Isthmic spondylolisthesis
12. Muscle strains caused by wrong posture, hazardous work pattern.
13. Strained ligaments
15. Bone infection
16. Gynecological problems like ovarian cysts, pregnancy etc.
17. Kidney or prostate problem
18. Chronic illnesses like tuberculosis, meningitis, peptic ulcers etc.
19. Stress, obesity and inactivity are factors increasing the susceptibility towards developing backache.
Home Remedies for Backache
1. Sponge your back alternately with hot and cold compresses to get relief from backache.
2. Drink the juice of one lemon with a pinch of common salt to get rid of backache.
3. Consume 2-3 flakes of garlic every morning. This relieves backache.
4. Fry 10 garlic cloves in 60 grams of mustard oil. Let it cool and then massage the oil vigorously on the back. Leave it for 3 hours. Take bath with warm water thereafter. This checks backache.
5. Consume bits of chebulic myroblan with meals to get relief from backache.
6. Mix 2 tablespoon honey in a glass of water and drink every morning. This alleviates back pain.
7. Soak 30 gm of wheat in water overnight. In the morning mix 30 gm of khas-khas grass and 30 gm of coriander in it and make a fine paste of all the ingredients. Boil the paste in 250 gm milk until the mixture is reduced to one-third. Consume the mixture. This is a useful backache relief remedy.
8. Rubbing mint oil or Rumoxil oil on the back gently cures backache.
9. Apply a poultice pack of raw potato on the back and get relief from backache.
10. Massaging back with turpentine oil or Rumatone Gold oil also relieves backache.
11. Add a mixture of 1 gm of ginger powder, 5 black pepper corns and 5 cloves to your tea and take twice daily. This is an effective home remedy for backache.
Multiple myeloma is a type of blood cancer involving a certain type of white blood cells that make antibodies, which help the body fight off infection. In this video, Mayo Clinic hematologist Dr. Shaji Kumar talks about the advances in treatment that have resulted in the survival rate tripling over the last decade and why it’s helpful to have a specialist in multiple myeloma manage a patient’s care.
Find More Multiple Myeloma Cancer Articles